The different types of cinnamon come from different parts of Asia. About 90 percent of the world's cinnamon comes from Southern India and Sri Lanka, while other areas ranging from Madagascar toVietnam and China produce the remaining 10 percent. Cassia is a highly popular form of cinnamon in the US. It is also termed "Chinese cinnamon," but "true cinnamon" comes only from Sri Lanka. This cinnamon has a more "high end" and delicate taste than what we've been using in the US.
Let's have a close look at some of the health benefits of cinnamon:
Anti-clottingThe presence of cinnamaldehyde an (essential/volatile) oil in cinnamon helps it in reducing blood clots. According to WHfoods.com, cinnamon accomplishes this by inhibiting the release of arachidonic acid from various platelet membranes, which is an inflammatory fatty acid that reduces the formation of the inflammatory messaging molecule known as thromboxane A2.
AntimicrobialThe essential oils in cinnamon are antimicrobial and can stop various types of bacterial and fungal growths. The antimicrobial properties of cinnamon are very effective, so it can also be used as an alternative to various food preservatives.
Boosts brain functionSmelling the cinnamon scent can also boost brain activity. In research reported by WHfoods.com, cinnamon helped in enhancing the cognitive process in participants with the following activities:
• Working memory
• Tasks related to attentional processes
• Virtual recognition memory
• Visual-motor speed while working on any computer-based program