Causes Of Kidney StonesKidney stones can be caused by different factors. There are many factors that may also increase the risk of developing kidney stones:
• Kidney stones are formed when the urine contains crystal forming substances such as uric acid, oxalate and calcium which are more than what the urine can dilute. The urine may also lack certain substances that prevent the crystals from sticking together for which an ideal environment is formed for the kidney stones to be formed.
• There are different types of stones formed due to the kind of diet that one follows. Often calcium stones are formed due to certain metabolic disorders, dietary intake or high doses of vitamin D
• Struvite stones are often formed due to an infection in the urinary tract.
• Uric acid stones are formed when one follows a high protein diet without consuming enough of fluids. That is mainly due to diet and lifestyle choices. Many people afflicted with gout can develop uric acid stones. Genetic factors can also increase the risk of stones.
Thus, the causes of stone formation in the kidney can be several.
Symptoms Of Kidney StonesNo matter what kind of kidney stones one develops, the symptoms are usually acute. One may be confused as to what it may herald. It is best to know the symptoms from beforehand and seek help:
• Sever pain is felt in the side as well as on the back as well as below the ribs
• Pain is felt in the lower abdomen as well as in the groin area
• The pain comes in waves and may fluctuate in intensity
• Pain is felt when urinating
• The urine may become cloudy and foul smelling
• The urine develops a brown or reddish hue
• One may have vomiting or nausea feeling
• If an infection is present one may feel fever and chills
Home Remedies For Kidney StonesThere are many cases where kidney stones can be treated with success with the help of natural ingredients. The benefit of natural treatments is that they are safe and effective and there are no side effects to be feared.
Lemon JuiceThe citric acid that is present in lemon works to break down the kidney stones formed out of calcium and also prevents the growth of such stones. One needs to drink a glass of water with a few drops of lemon juice several times in a day. When such a drink is consumed, the volume of urination also increases which can help to remove the stones from the system. One teaspoon of lemon juice can be added along with a tablespoon of organic olive oil to half a glass of water. After this, one can add the juice of half a lemon in half a glass of mineral water to which a tablespoon of raw organic apple cider vinegar is added and then this should be consumed.
The juice and the seeds of pomegranate are beneficial for kidney stones treatment due to their astringent properties. It is recommended that one eats a whole pomegranate fruit or consumes its juice. It can be had as a part of a fruit salad as well. The seeds of the fruit can be ground into a fine paste and taken with horse gram soup once every day. This helps to dissolve gravel which accumulates in the kidney.
Nettle LeafThis leaf is beneficial for maintaining a continuous flow of water through the bladder and the kidney and helps to promote smooth urination. The nettle leaf also prevents the crystals from forming stones and also keeps the bacterial infection at bay. If one is suffering from kidney stones they will benefit from two or three cups of nettle tea drunk daily. This herbal tea can be made by taking two tablespoons of dried nettle leaf added to two cups of water. The leaves should be allowed to soak for ten minutes and then strained. It acts as a natural diuretic.
CeleryIf you are suffering from kidney stones, a glass of raw celery juice can help to get relief from pain. It has beneficial antiseptic properties to offer. The celery juice is beneficial to clear the toxins that are created due to the kidney stones. The juice also has diuretic properties which help to break down the stones. The seeds of this plant can be used to make herbal tea in order to prevent stones formed by uric acid accumulation.
Bran FlakesIt is necessary to consume food that is rich in fiber if one is suffering from kidney stones. There is nothing like bran flakes if one is looking for fiber rich food. The bran flakes contain fiber that helps to get rid of calcium present in the urine and this reduces the risk of kidney stones. A bowl of bran flakes should be consumed daily in order to cut down on the risk of kidney stones.
Water MelonWater melon is also known to be beneficial for treating kidney stones as it contains helpful minerals like phosphates, calcium, magnesium and carbonates. Potassium in water melon acts as the key ingredient for healthy kidneys in regulating as well as maintaining the acidic levels in urine. High concentration of water in this fruit also helps to flush out the stones that accumulate in the kidneys. Water melon consumed regularly will help in preventing as well as treating kidney stones.
BasilBasil is considered as a tonic for kidneys and it is great for the normal functioning of the kidneys. One could take a teaspoon of basil juice every morning along with honey for five or six months to keep their kidney in good condition. Pure basil juice can be had or two or three basil leaves can be chewed to induce the stones to be expelled from the kidney. Basil tea can also be had. Five to six leaves of this plant added to boiling water and soaked for ten minutes can be had as tea along with honey.
Whole Wheat BreadWhole wheat bread is one of the whole grain food items that can help to lower the risk of kidney stones. They are known to be rich in fiber, protein as well as in magnesium. The mineral magnesium helps smaller crystals in the kidney to coalesce and form larger stones. Eating a piece or two of whole wheat bread will help to prevent kidney stones and reduce their size. Whole grain pasta, cereals also help to increase the amount of fiber and other nutrients in one’s diet.
Kidney BeansFor the treatment of bladder or kidney problems kidney beans are found to be very effective. The beans need to be removed from the pods. The pods should be sliced and then placed in hot water. The water should boil on low flame for many hours in order to make the pods soft and tender. The liquid thus obtained should be strained and cooled. This liquid could be had several times in a day to obtain relief from kidney stone and related pain symptoms. The decoction should not be kept for more than 24 hours as it loses its beneficial properties after that. Kidney beans in salad or soup form can also be consumed.
Increase Intake Of WaterThe only way to prevent kidney stones from forming would be to increase intake of fluids:
• One should drink at least six to eight ounces of water everyday
• Water is the ideal choice but natural fruit juices non sweetened, non caffeinated and non alcoholic beverages also count
Monitor The OutputIt might not be possible to keep track of the fluid amount that one takes in. However, one should keep a check on:
• The amount of urine produced
• There are measuring devices that pharmacies carry and one should be able to produce 40 to 45 ounces of urine everyday. If less amount is being produced, the preventive measures need to be stepped up.
Restrict The Intake Of OxalatesIt is beneficial to consume large quantities of fruits and vegetables
• These help to stock up on the vitamins and minerals and other beneficial nutrients
• Some foods also contain oxalates and these need to be avoided in order to prevent kidney formation
Items That Need To Be Reduced In One’s DietThere are certain items that will promote calcium oxalate stones formation such as:
• Wheat bran
Such food items should not be avoided completely but taken in limited amount.
Restrict Vitamin CIt is recommended that one consumes vitamin C rich food items in limited quantities:
• This vitamin is converted to oxalate by the body
• This can lead to increased chances of kidney stone formation
Reduce Meat IntakeIt is known that uric acid stones are formed when:
• High protein diet is consumed
• Less water intake leads to more uric acid formation
Cut Down On Certain Fish IntakeWhen one has the risk of uric acid stones they need to cut down on certain protein foods that contain purine:
• Food high in purines include anchovies, mackerels, mussels, fish roe, herring, shrimp and sardine
• Foods rich in purine are organ meat, beer and sweetbread
Avoid AntacidsWhen one wishes to avoid kidney stone formation one should avoid:
• Antacids that are sold over the counter which are rich in calcium
• The calcium leads to increased risk of kidney stone formation in people prone to this disorder
Supplement Your DietIt is better to opt for a fiber rich diet which will help by:
• Getting rid of calcium and oxalates from the system
• That cuts down the risk of kidney stones
One good example of a fiber rich nutrient is bran flakes.
Increase Intake Of MagnesiumOne should increase their magnesium intake as it will help to:
• Avoid formation of stones
• One can consume whole wheat bread that is high on magnesium
Reduce Salt IntakeIt is known that salt has a direct effect on kidney stone formation:
• One should limit their sodium consumption
• More than two grams per day should not be consumed
Are you afraid of a kidney stone attack coming on? There are many who have faced such a dilemma and they realize the importance of taking proper precautions in their daily lives. Indeed, the simple task of intake of enough fluids becomes vital in such cases to prevent the painful occurrence of stones. It is necessary to remember the advice given above.